Do you own a slow cooker?
I bet that most of you do.
Personally, well.. I’ve never been a huge fan of slow cookers. I think it’s because I was using a cheap one from Wal Mart that gave everything a distinct metallic flavor (a bad sign, I know). Now that we’ve moved up in the world of kitchen appliances — someone was kind enough to gift us this slow cooker last year for our wedding — I’ve been experimenting more.
I’m happy to report that this bourbon-honey bbq chicken (um, yum) tastes nothing like metal! In fact, it tastes like… bourbon and honey and bbq sauce. A winning combo, in my book.
You might not be prepared for how easy this recipe is. I’m giving you fair warning.
Combine all ingredients except for chicken into a slow cooker.
Stir to combine.
Add chicken breasts, turning once to coat in sauce.
Place lid on slow cooker, then set to “low” and walk away for 6 hours.
Congratulations, you’ve now made the easiest pulled chicken recipe ever!
I mean, you still have to shred the chicken, but even that requires next to no effort. If you stare at the chicken long enough, it might even pull itself apart. (I’d have a fork on standby, though, just in case.)
You should probably serve these with a vegetable or something resembling the color green. Salad, cole slaw, pickles, broccoli. Anything, really.
Make this chicken asap, guys! Then be sure to tell your family how you spent the day slaving in the kitchen to make this meal. Based on flavor alone, they’ll probably believe you.
Bourbon-Honey BBQ Chicken
*Recipe adapted from Healthy Delicious.
Time: 5 minutes prep, 6 hours cooking
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Sandwich rolls (I used challah)
- Combine all ingredients except chicken in your slow cooker. Mix well. Add the chicken breasts, turning so they are coated with the sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours (mine were fall apart tender after 6, though the original recipe recommended 8). Use the back of a wooden spoon to gently shred the chicken. Stir so that the shredded chicken is evenly coated with the sauce. Set slow cooker to warm and let chicken stand for 15 minutes to soak up sauce.
- *Optional: slice the rolls in half and toast in a pan with a little melted butter.
- Serve the pulled chicken on the rolls. Top with more bbq sauce, pickles, cole slaw, whatever you like!