I considered posting a picture of these veggies and just the words, “Make this. Now.” … but then I couldn’t tell you how much I love them.
These veggies deserve more than that. They deserve a post dedicated to just how straightforward and wonderful they are. If you are not generally a vegetable person (I’m looking at some of John’s friends…), you have an open invitation to come over for dinner so I can make this for you and help you see the light.
Veggies are good. Veggies are your friends. Veggies are begging to be grilled.
Let’s not pretend I went off and reinvented the wheel here. Chopped vegetables + olive oil + grill = nothing new and fancy. It’s good, though. Like really, really good. And that’s all there is to it.
Chop up the zucchini, squash, and onion into 1-inch pieces. Add to a large bowl, then toss in a pint of whole cherry or grape tomatoes.
Season with olive oil, salt, and pepper, then cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
Heat a grill over medium-high heat. Pour veggies into a grill roaster (watch your face/hands as you pour — the oil will create a small flame!), then cook for approximately 10 minutes, or until veggies are charred on the outside and tender, stirring every few minutes.
Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Let’s talk about this for a minute. Grilled red onions? They should be illegal. Grilled squash? Serious flavor. But grilled tomatoes? Game changer.
You could add fresh herbs or fancy flavored olive oils to spice things up a little, but it’s not necessary. These veggies shine on their own.
This would be perfect — I mean perfect – for a bbq. No more excuses for serving up bland, boring side dishes.
Not gonna lie, I could eat this every day.
Yields: 4-6 servings
Time: 5 min prep, 10 min cooking
- 1 large zucchini
- 2 medium yellow squash
- 1 large red onion
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cut all the vegetables into pieces roughly 1-inch in size (leave tomatoes whole). Place in a large bowl, then add olive oil, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine, cover, then refrigerate until ready to grill.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Add vegetables to a grill roaster and cook for approximately 10 minutes, or until veggies are charred on the outside and tender, stirring every few minutes. Remove and serve immediately.