We need to have a little talk.
This burger? You’ll want to make it immediately. Juicy, succulent shrimp, fresh avocado, homemade tartar sauce. Ohmygoodness. I made them twice in two weeks, if that tells you anything.
But seriously. Wipe the drool off your face and get into the kitchen now.The prep work is easy. Combine panko bread crumbs and spices in a large mixing bowl.
Place peeled and deveined shrimp into a food processor and pulse into a chunky paste. Add to seasoned breadcrumbs, form into patties, and sauté in a little olive oil over high heat.
The creaminess of the fresh tartar sauce… the nutty flavor from the whole wheat bun… the sweetness of the shrimp. Everything just worked. Make sure to add some onion for a little heat and crunch.
And serve with a big pile of sweet potato or plaintain chips.
These definitely rival my favorite chicken burgers. They’re messy in the best possible way and seriously addictive.
Grab a napkin and dig in.
P.S. Happy New Year’s Eve! Our big plans involve a bottle of Cava and some homemade pizza (don’t be jealous). Hope you all have a wonderful (and safe) celebration! See you in 2013!
*Recipe adapted from How Sweet It Is.
Yields: 4 burgers
Time: 10 min prep, 10 min cooking
- 1 pound raw, peeled and deveined shrimp
- 2/3 cup seasoned panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Tartar sauce (recipe here)
- Tomato, sliced
- Red onion, sliced
- Avocado, sliced
- Add shrimp to a food processor and pulse until chopped. Transfer to a bowl and add egg, panko, mustard, salt, pepper, basil, paprika, garlic and onion powder. Mix until combined, then form shrimp into patties (form tightly with your hands, trying to prevent cracking).
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add half of the olive oil, then cook patties until golden, about 3-4 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining burgers.
- Serve on whole wheat buns with tartar sauce, tomato, red onion, and avocado. Chips optional.